Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Advertising Campaigns
Pay-per-click advertising (PPC) offers your website an opportunity to advertise within the sponsored listings on pages served by the main search engines, whenever a user searches on a specific keyword related to your product or service.
Quite simply, you can buy your way to the top of the search results within hours and then pay a fee for every visitor that comes onto your website. PPC advertising is therefore a highly targeted online advertising tool and it is also a marketing sector that continues to grow rapidly as more and more companies come to realise how it can be a very cost-effective and measurable source of new business.
There are currently 2 major services offering PPC advertising in Australia:
- Google AdWords - taking advantage of Google’s position as a major search destination site on the web, this service provides coverage of Google as well as other branded search tools as well as a huge network of content sites.
- Bing Ads - although reaching a much smaller share of the search market, Bing Ads can still be an effective tool for many advertisers, and the lower volume of competitors bidding for ads make the cost per click and conversion usually lower than Google.
Running a successful pay-per-click campaign
Pay-per-click advertising is becoming more competitive as an increasing number of companies compete for top positions on the main search results and consequently in some market sectors, only those with deep pockets can buy the best positions. However, used sensibly, a PPC campaign can be extremely effective for several key reasons:
- It's immediate - you can set up a campaign immediately with Google AdWords and be ranking in the top search results within the hour. Set up requires very little investment and, depending on the nature of your market, pay-per-click can prove to be very cost effective, making it realistic for any size of business.
- It's flexible - you can also control activity and spend online, including targeting activity by time of day or day of the week, making it a highly flexible tool for promoting business objectives such as market penetration, sales promotions and catering for weekly or seasonal variations.
- It's measurable - conversion rates from pay-per-click leads can be measured by adding tracking code to a site, so you are able to calculate the cost per sale and conversion rates that pay-per-click is giving you. This makes it very easy to justify and monitor responses compared to other forms of advertising. You can also monitor clickthrough rates (adverts served v adverts clicked) to measure the effectiveness of your advertising messages.
Such campaigns also require close management, for a number of reasons, including:
- Not all clicks are equal - making sure that the people who click on your ads are likely to generate a lead or sale is critical to the success of a pay-per-click campaign, and there are a number of pitfalls to watch out for. Bidding on very general key words by an advertiser in a specialist sector, attracting the wrong type of visitor with your adverts and providing a poor experience once a user reaches your website are just some of the issues to consider.
- Click fraud - this is a common concern for advertisers and whilst the major PPC providers have some security measures in place, it is still possible to assume that you will receive wasted clicks from your competitors or other sources, so this needs to be built in to the cost of a campaign. Ultimately, any PPC campaign has to generate an effective return on investment. Read more...
- How sustainable is it? - many other methods of web marketing allow you to achieve sustainable results without investing large sums of money (although hard work & astute decisions are almost certainly required). Pay-per click is very much like advertising in that as soon as you stop investing in it, you will lose any benefits immediately.
How Web Marketing Workshop can help
At Web Marketing Workshop we have a wide experience of managing pay-per-click accounts for our clients, helping to take away the hassle and maximising the benefits of this often complex advertising medium. Our management service provides the following stages of work:
- we will research a range of potential search terms and provide a list of the most relevant terms for your market alongside their estimated monthly cost.
- we will assess your market and give you advice on how best to utilise pay-per-click to achieve the best return on investment.
- once we have agreed the keywords to use, we then produce optimised adverts that will maximise relevant clicks, set up your account and set initial bid levels.
- when your account is activated we monitor its activity and begin a process of continual development to optimise your campaign, testing keywords, adverts and bid strategies. We also advise you on how to utilise your website to make the best use of the pay-per-click traffic it receives.
- every month we provide you with a report showing your activity for the previous month, plus we will analyse trends and provide advice on how to develop your campaign.
If you would like run an initial test PPC campaign for your website, or to find out more about this method of online advertising, please contact us now for more information. Alternatively, request our FREE marketing assessment to discover what other online marketing opportunities may exist for your site.