Any AdWords advertisers who are marketing locations, such as shops or other destinations, can take advantage of the local conversion actions being counted within the AdWords system. Therefore whenever people complete an action that’s specific to an advertiser’s physical location, during or after interacting with an ad for that advertiser, these different actions can be recorded and used to improve the targeting of ad spend.
These local conversion actions can be tracked if they happen within Google’s products and services, such as interactions with Google Maps, and therefore these local conversion actions are automatically defined by AdWords without the advertiser having to set up any specific conversions. Also it should be noted that any local conversion action data is aggregated and anonymous.
If you see conversions within your AdWords account that are associated with these local actions, they can be viewed in the Conversion actions table, along with any other conversion actions that have been set up. You can also view these in any of your AdWords reports by segmenting the “All conversions” column by conversion action, but note that, by default, conversions associated with local conversion actions are NOT included in the “Conversions” column.
These are the 6 local actions tracked by Google as conversions within AdWords, which are:
- Clicks to call: Clicks on the “Call” button on any Google location-based ad or service after an ad interaction.
- Local actions – Directions: Clicks on the “Get directions” button on any Google location-based ad or service after an ad interaction.
- Local actions – Website visits: Clicks on the website link on any Google location-based ad or service after an ad interaction.
- Local actions – Other engagements: Clicks on other tracked user actions (for example: share location, save, etc.) on any Google location-based ad or service after an ad interaction.
- Local actions – Orders: (Vertical specific) Clicks on the “Order” button on any Google location-based ad or service after an ad interaction.
- Local actions – Menu views: (Vertical specific) Clicks on the menu link on any Google location-based ad or service after an ad interaction.
To see a report showing these local conversion actions detailed by location, visit the per-shop report, which shows you an estimate of how many in-person visits you’re getting for each of your physical locations, and conversions from other shop-specific actions – like phone calls, website visits, getting driving directions and more.
Using this information, you can move your budget around to increase the performance of shops that are already successful, or to shops that require more support. To view this, click on the Locations option from the page menu on the left when within a campaign, then click the Geographic report drop-down at the top of the page, then select the Per-shop report.
If you’d like to know more about the local conversion actions and how they might help your AdWords tracking, please get in touch.